Redneck Bank is a real, online-only bank with a humorous approach to banking.
The institution was originally founded in 1969 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. And even though they are an online bank today, the Huckabay family that owns Redneck bank has been involved in banking since 1927.
Their website showcases a light-hearted, friendly brand with a rural and fun feel to it. Upon loading the page, you’ll see animated goats, pigs and even a fly buzzing across the screen that you’ll be tempted to shoo away. If the volume is turned up on your device, you’ll notice this display comes complete with sound effects to boot.
All that to be said, the bank has two very competitive products that are FDIC-insured up to the applicable limits.
These are a:
- Mega Money Market Account, and a
- Redneck Rewards Checkin’ Account
To see if either of these high yield online deposit products are right for you, continue reading our comprehensive review below.
In this post you'll learn:
Mega Money Market Account APY + Details
The Mega Money Market Account by Redneck Bank features a VISA debit card and access to thousands of ATMs worldwide. Wallet style checks are also available upon request.
The account currently pays a competitive 0.50% APY on balances up to $50,000 and just 0.25% APY on balances beyond that.
The account comes with a minimum deposit requirement of $500, however, once the account is opened there are no monthly balance requirements or monthly maintenance fees.
Redneck Bank Mega Money Market APY
|$0 – $50,000||$500||0.50%|
To put the rates above in perspective the current national average for a savings account sits at just 0.07% APY and the current national average on a money market account is just 0.11% APY.
Account Features, Capabilities and Details:
- Bank to bank transfers
- Person to person transfers
- Direct Deposit
- Mobile Deposit
- Visa debit card
- Wallet style checks – available upon request.
- Overdraft Protection – must opt in to this feature.
- 6 free withdrawals or transfers in person or at ATMs. After these 6 free debits per month, Redneck Bank will charge $5 for each debit after the sixth per monthly statement cycle.
- 10 free Online Bill Pay transactions per month; $0.50 charge for each transaction after.
- Free eStatements with transaction images available to view online.
Redneck Rewards Checkin’ Account APY + Details
The Redneck Bank Rewards Checkin’ Account is similar to the money market account but with four major distinctions:
- The high APY of 0.70% is only applied on balances up to $10,000.
- You must make 10 debit card transactions with your Redneck Bank Visa Debit Card per monthly statement cycle to earn the advertised rate.
- You must receive statements electronically.
- Added Bonus: Redneck Bank will refund up to $25 of foreign ATM fees each monthly statement cycle in one lump sum.
All balances above $10,000 will earn 0.25% APY. Also, if you fail to meet point 2 or 3, you will earn just 0.25% APY on your balance.
Outside of the four major differences listed above, the Rewards Checkin’ account comes with all the same features and capabilities as the money market account.
Redneck Bank Reviews and Customer Sentiment
Redneck Bank scores fairly well with consumers averaging between a 3.5 and 4 star rating out of 5 on major financial publications such as NerdWallet and DepositAccounts.
Their IOS app has just 13 reviews and scores an average 3.8 star rating out of 5 while their Android App has a lower 3.4 star rating out of 5 with only 18 reviews as of the time of this writing. To put this in perspective the average banking app on the Apple and Google Play stores scores a 3.9 star rating out of 5 according to this report.
At first glance of this company’s website, you may feel immediately inclined to write them off as an unserious, potentially even fake institution. But once you dig into the actual deposit account offers and pit them against the current products on the market, you begin to see these offerings are rather exceptional.
If you’re in the market for a variable-rate, online deposit account with easy access to cash via a debit card and a highly competitive APY, then this kooky online bank may be a great fit.
That said, if you value in-person banking and a full suite of banking products, then Redneck Bank likely won’t meet all of your needs.